Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Year in Review (long)

2006 began miserably, stemming from poor game selection, shortly after winning 31K on Empire Poker in the $200,000K guarantee on Christmas. I lost a majority of my winnings before conceding I had made a mistake in game selection. In February, I settled in comfortably at Party Poker, becoming a dominant force in 5/10 NL (full ring). At the same time, I was experiencing nothing but success with my stake horses. For a two month period or so, Jesse and Zach were un-stoppable forces at Full Tilt. During this period, it was only on a rare occasion in which they had a losing day. Everything was going very well financially. However, my results began to turn around in early April when I began traveling.

I was in a very nice groove up until this point, but I was unable to find the same groove for the rest of the year. In April, I went to Lake Tahoe with my girlfriend, Crystal and spent a majority of the timing away from poker. I spent nearly two weeks in beautiful Lake Tahoe, until I flew to Las Vegas for the 5-Star at Bellagio (WPT). It was at this time things began to slide. I did not play my best by any means, but I had a few tough breaks. In one instance, completely misread the situation and pressured me off the winning hand in a very large pot in 5/10 NL at Caesars. In the other, I got drawn out on a very large pot at the Wynn in 5/10 NL after my opponent caught running spades. In these two spots, I was the victim of bad luck, but I did not give myself much of the chance in other instances. To be honest, I just did not have my 'A' game.

In May/June, I went on a fishing trip with a large group of guys to the Eastern Sierra's. Garrett came along as well. It was an interesting trip. We had a near disaster river rafting and Garrett and I got lost for three hours in the mountains as it began to snow on us. Luckily, we were able to backtrack and find our way back to camp. I owe it to my father for pointing us out in the wrong direction to begin with. Thanks Dad! A few days after getting back safely, I went on a family trip to Cabo San Lucas. If you haven't been Cabo San Lucas, I highly recommend.

It was at this point in which I lost my feel for online cash games. After returing to Lawrence, I took another shot at 10/20 NL. Big mistake. I lost nearly 17K. I also began playing 2/4 & 3/6 (6-max). Another mistake. I have no idea what I was thinking at the time. I was putting up tremendous results in 5/10 NL, but I guess it was not enough and I paid the price.

The only highlight during this period of time was qualifying for the World Series of Poker in a freeroll on Full Tilt. However, it does not overshadow my poor game selection leading up to the World Series. I took a week off preceding the WSOP. In hindsight it may have been the best decision I made in the latter half of the year.

I finished 417th for nearly 31K. Although it is often oversaid, I really feel I played some of the best poker I have ever played.

Day 1:

I had complete control of my starting table, chipping my stack up to ~36K. When my table broke, I was moved to a very aggressive table in which Elky had inherited the role as table captain. I don't know if it was Elky's dominating presence or a combination of the lack of lighting, conscious opponents or other factors, but I did not feel comfortable. I was quickly chipped down to 25K and was unable to open any pots. However, the following hand soon arose. Elky opened from middle position, I put in the minimum re-raise (unintentional) with AA, and Elky called. Flop: KTx (with suits). Elky check-raised all-in, I called, Elky showed Q9 for a gutshot and a flush draw, and I was able to hold. On the next hand, I fired a second shell after turning a flush draw against Elky. He said, 'That's a nice bet.' and mucked his hand. Our table broke after the conclusion of the hand and I was now sitting on a health stack of 65K. I was very confident at this point and I would remain so through the duration of the tournament. This was clearly my turning point in the tournament.

Yada yada yada...

Day 3: I had an above average stake of 87K entering the third day. Thankfully, I doubled-up on the final hand on Day 2. Back to Day 3. I quickly established my presence at my table. I played aggressively right out of the gate, as I wanted to give myself an opportunity to be around 200K when the tournament approached the money bubble. I began picking up pot after pot, small, big and uncontested. My opponents were playing cautiously for the most part, but as I began to cross 100, 150 and 200K they began to panic. In once instance, I re-raised in position with QQ. Before the action had reached the original raiser, he quickly announced, 'All-in!' with several players left unable to act in turn. The gentleman apologized for acting out of turn in which I responded, "Sir, no problem at all. My decision seems quite simple... ." I had ~200K and faced an all-in bet of ~80K. It was a clear fold and I did so. However, my opponent showed JJ.

Shortly before the money bubble, I had ~235K. The next hand of signifigance is one I will never forget. I made a standard raise from middle position with T8o. Action folded around to the big blind (~170K). After pondering for a few moments, the big blind made the call. Flop: 974 (mixed suits). Big blind checked, I bet 20K (little under the size of the pot), and the big blind called. While he was deliberating his action, I was considering if I should follow through with the hand if he did not fold. I had not quite made up my decision by the time my opponent choose to call. At this time, I was thinking of only one thing: "Smack the Jack!" My wish was granted, as a Jayhawk came on the turn. My thoughts instantaneously changed to: "Bet something!" With the pot at ~65K, Robin Hood went all-in for ~140K and I called as quickly as I heard 'Allin'. It would have been a lot of fun stacking all those chips and being one of the chips leaders, but instead I began counting down a majority of my stack and pushing them in the other direction. If, if, if... my opponent failed to fill-up on the river.

I took a short break, clearing my head and collecting my thoughts. I came back and played my best, never giving-up. At one point, I got my stack up to ~240K. However, I could not win an all-in preflop confrontation in which I had my opponent covered, but I was still in the tournament with plenty of chips to play with.

Day 4:

I quickly lost a race with 88 v AJo, which would have put me at ~280K. Soon after my table broke. With the blinds at 2K/4K, I squeezed for 100K from the SB after four players limped. The second to last limper called with AJo. Flop: Axx. I need to catch running cards to stay alive, but the turn card left me drawing dead and out.

I am satisfied with how I played. Although I made a few mistakes, I can't fault myself for them as no one can play perfectly. Except Phil Ivey of course. When the money was in, I was ahead or unable to get lucky. It's pretty amazing. I never came from behind the entire tournament. However, I hade plenty of breaks go my way. It would be a crime to admit I was not fortunate in a few spots, but I'm left wondering. How would have things turned out if I faded ten outs, which at the time was the biggest pot of the tournament. I'll never know, but I am content, as I played the best I was able.

I really thought I would carry the momentum from playing so well during the main event into cash games, but instead I struggled for the remainder of the year. August was a disaster. Live cash games, online cash games, everything really. After a month of distress, I realized I was an idiot for leaving 5/10 NL on Party Poker, so I went back to Party. However, it didn't last long, as Party soon closed to U.S. customers. I'm not going to lie; I was a wreck. I was very upset and worried.

In the Post-Party Poker Era, I have played on several sites, in countless different games, and in varying limits, but I have been unable to have any consistent results. It has been a real struggle, as I have taken the worst of it any many different ways. I have been taken advantage by two clients and have 20K in outstanding loans, which is probably worth less than five cents on the dollar. Currently, I have all my cash in savings and in outstanding loans. Therefore, I am broke. It is a humbling experience, but I do not feel I deserve the situation I am currently in. I admit I dug my own grave, but if it was not for the friends whom took advantage of me, I would certainly not be in this position.

I am currently on a very long losing streak. Looking back, I think I only had 2 or 3 winning months in cash games. Uck! Not very good; I am the first to admit. However, I made quite a bundle in staking, but it cancels out with the outstanding loans. With my earnings in the Main Event, I pretty much ended 2006 in the same spot in which I began it. I do not have much to work with at this point, but I am determined to get off to a good start in 2007. I am staking a few players, grinding small stakes no limit and 'living the life' in Lake Tahoe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home