Thursday, May 17, 2007

Stone Cold Cooler

I never cease to amaze myself. Within the first fifteen minutes, I got AI w/ QQ vs. AA on a flop of Qxx and scoop a 1K pot (I called a cutsy RR PF to 48). Shortly after, I have top set on a flop of A74 and sarahbellum check-raised 20 to 60. He only check-raises with very strong hands, so I re-raised to 220, he RR AI for 1,000 and I quickly called. The stars aligned; I had him drawing to running sevens. I can't explain how great it felt. It took nearly a month, but I finally won a sizable pot against SB.

What took place thereafter was pretty remarkable. I played 1/2, 2/4 & 5/10 against pretty much the same players in each game. The results in each game shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Remember: I was playing against the same players in 1/2 as I was in 2/4 or 5/10. Naturally, I won a few buy-ins in 1/2. At the 2/4 game in which I was once up to over 2K , I ended up winning a measly $30. I lost nearly every sizable pot HU against booga1023 and spartacan. 2-outer with one card to come, pair over pair, couldn't hit a flop, etc. It was a real blast.

However, the real party was at 5/10. As the 2/4 games started to break, most of the remaining high limit players (relatively speaking) played 5/10. The session was so reminiscent of 10/20 NL on Party Poker it was scary. I'll be honest. It almost brought me to tears. I am going to rant for a little bit longer. I suggest closing the window, read on if you wish...

In less than an hour, I managed to lose nearly 4K. I have no idea what happened. It was like a perfect storm, as I was losing pots seemingly every way possible. It was quite unbearable, as I was called nearly every time in which I missed the flop or bluffed or semi-bluffed on the turn. I couldn't hit a draw, but I did manage a few walks with hands such as AA and KK and I got no action with the best hand on the river.

I especially like the following hands...

I RR PF w/ QQ and lost to T5 on a board of (TTJ9T). I only called on the river.

I flopped the nut straight with J9 on a flop of QT8. I was called on the flop and turn (J) and faced a large bet on the river (9) and folded.

I like going out with a bang, preferably losing a very large AI with the best hand. Thankfully, my wishes were very much obliged. I got AI against spartacan w/ TT vs. K7 on a flop of 876. The river was a K and I was pretty much left in awe. I figured a 5K downswing and a loss of $3,500 was enough excitement for one evening.

If I wasn't playing 1/2, it would be completely different, but I am still playing and winning in 1/2 against the same players I am losing against in 2/4, 3/6 & 5/10. I am running very well in 1/2 and 2/4 (6 & 10-handed) and poor in 2/4 + HU and 3-handed against the same players. I am also losing at a higher rate in 3/6 compared to 2/4 and 5/10 compared to 3/6. I have been taking elaborate notes, observing games in which I cannot sit and have been more selective in game selection. If I weren't running like manure, I think I'd be having very good results.

It is a spitting image of 10/20 NL on Party Poker. In the last two years, I have been able to maintain a positive level of thinking and a good mindset. Although I don't practice everything I teach, I have more the most part followed the advice I give regarding mind management. However, I don't feel the same way as I have in the past. I'm tired and can't handle such brutal swings anymore. With the last three weeks having been so miserable, it only makes going back to school even more appealing. I've even started to actually look forward to going back to school.

It is amazing how quickly the tide can change in the poker world...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home